This post has already been read 60 times!
There are two easy ways for Netgear router setup and in this post, we will be discussing both the ways.
- Netgear router setup using a wireless device.
- Netgear router setup without the installation CD.
If you do not have a desktop or laptop to use to configure your Netgear wireless router for the first time, then you can also use your wireless laptop, tablet, or a smartphone. You simply have to connect your smart wireless device to the preset wireless settings of your Netgear WiFi router and after that, configure your device for the reliable internet connection.
Now, we will guide you on how to install a Netgear router using a wireless device.
- Connect the Ethernet, USB or internet cable from your DSL (Digital subscriber line) or cable modem to the internet port of your Netgear wireless router.
- Turn on your cable or DSL modem and wait for the LED lights on your device to become solid.
- After a few minutes, turn on your Netgear device and wait for its LED light to become stable.
- Now, get the preset wireless settings of your device (router). It is labeled on the bottom or at the back panel of your device.
- Now, on your smart wireless device, open the WiFi connection manager and locate the network name of your wireless router.
- Connect to the SSID (network name) and enter the passphrase (password).
- Open an Internet browser (relevant and up-to-date) such as Safari, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
- In case Netgear Genie does not display, then it is recommended go to the address bar and type routerlogin.net
- Enter the default login credentials and follow the on-screen instructions to configure your device.
And that’s it. In this way, you can configure your Netgear router using a wireless device.
Now, we will guide you on how to install a Netgear wireless router without the installation CD.
The installation CD that comes with your Netgear wireless router includes a setup wizard that makes the installation and configuration of the Netgear device as easy as ABC. But hold on! You don’t need it to install your WiFi router in your business. If your CD has broken or lost, Netgear’s control panel is always available to computers or laptops that are physically and properly connected to the home networking system. From the control panel, you can easily set up your wireless network, add security protocols, change the admin name and password and view the list of active networking and internet devices that are connected to your network currently.
- Connect your wireless router to your main modem with the help of an Ethernet cable.
- After that, connect your router to your computer or a laptop with an additional Ethernet cable from one of the numbered ports on the back panel of your WiFi router.
- Once the router is configured properly, you can disconnect it from your device (computer or laptop).
- Now, plug the router into an electrical outlet and hit the power button.
Note: Make sure that the latest version of Netgear firmware is updated on your main WiFi router.
- Open a web browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 (default IP address of your WiFi router).
- Log in with default login credentials (username and password).
- Click on “Wireless Settings” from your router’s dashboard. Moreover, in order to change the name of your network, then you are supposed to type in a new value in the field of “SSID”.
- Once you are done with it, choose a security option from the list available, such as WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) or WPA (Wireless Protected Access) to secure your network and wired and wireless devices against cybercriminals and unknown people and require a safe, secure, long, and strong password for access.
- Finally, click on the “Apply” button and change the wireless settings. You can now access the router login page from a compatible wireless device with the new password.
- Exit from your web browser and disconnect the Ethernet cable from your computer or laptop.
In this simple way, you can configure your wireless router without making use of the installation CD. If you still have something to ask, then dial a toll-free number 1-888-829-5515 and ask us for Netgear support or you can also drop your queries below.